Tuesday, March 24, 2009

A Vintage Outdoor Wednesday















It’s hard to believe another Wednesday has rolled around so quickly. It’s time again for Outdoor Wednesday hosted by A Southern Daydreamer.

The calendar may say spring, but temps have only reached the low 50’s by afternoon, and many nights are in the 20’s.Haven’t put away those winter coats just yet! For inspiration I have turned to some of my vintage garden books. One, “Garden Bulbs in Color” was published in 1948 by the J. Horace McFarland Company. We toured Mr. McFarland’s home in Belleview Park for the Christmas Holiday tour. It is in a state of renovation right now. The house had been left in disrepair for years. It’s wonderful to see someone taking the time to restore this former Grand Dame. The other book I am showing pages from is, “Chase Fruit & Flowers in Natural Colors”. This lovely garden book was written in 1922. Some of the illustrations take you back in time to a simpler, beautiful, romantic life. See how many of these heirloom plants you have in your garden or maybe might want to add.

My tribute to Outdoor Wednesday is a bit of Victorian Scrap I purchased at the antique mall when I was supposed to be working in my booth-it’s hard not to shop and I almost always bring something home.

Enjoy Outdoor Wednesday and visit Susan at A Southern Daydreamer for more inspirational Outdoor posts.
























































































































































These vintage garden books are still fairly easy to find at reasonable prices. I've found them

at yard sales, flea markets, antique shops & co-ops. They have many lovely illustrations &

great ideas for the vintage gardener. I have included a photo of grapes. Before all our trees were mature the former owners had grape arbors stretched the whole way across the back yard.

I almost wish they were still there.















the former Mcfarland Mansion.












































12 comments:

Tootsie said...

I can only dream of some of those plants...they'd never grow here...I love those type of books...they inspire and motivate so much! thanks for sharing

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Kate! Love the vintage pictures! Thanks for sharing.~ Susan

Anonymous said...

What a find indeed. The bright colors of the flowers are beautiful!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Martha said...

I love vintage garden books as well especially the 20's ones since that is the age of Linderhof. We still have the two trees that were planted soon after Linderhof was built. I treasure them!

Chandy said...

I love all the pictures, especially of the grape and wisteria! I love, love purple!

Marie said...

Luv the vintage photos and that yellow mansion. Thanks for your comment...your french is parfait! I love it too when I get to practice my broken french ;)
-marie

the wild raspberry said...

great vintage pics!
chasity

Anonymous said...

The old books are so much dreamy'er than new garden books. I loved your collection.

Kathy b

Sue said...

Kate, they are all beautiful I adore anything that is vintage. thank you or sharing.
Sue

Light and Voices said...

Your tour of vintage gardens and ending with the victorian home brought back memories of the good old days. Nice blog post!
Joyce

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Great post...thanks hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

a quiet life said...

enoyed all your pics, thanks for sharing them.