Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Outdoor Wednesday-A taste of Spring




















My favorite greenhouse opens the end of the month. I can't wait! Last year this wagon was filled to over-flowing with baskets of petunias.
This fabulous allium is an early spring bloomer.
This is the fish pond as it looks now. The iris are
about eight inches tall. Fish are lovin' the sunshine!






















By late May or early June we are in full bloom!

















I am partial to those tropical-looking coral begonias.




















Another Outdoor Wednesday has rolled around. Spring is taking her time, but the weather is finally turning fair. Temperatures are expected in the 60’s today. I noticed tiny little green buds clinging to the ornamental cherry today. The water irises are popping above water. The fish lazed in the sunshine rippling across the surface of the pond.

Still nothing to get too excited about. This first phase of spring is all about clean-up. The amount of twigs and branches cluttering the garden is phenomenal. The bulbs are pushing up in spite of it so we rake it away to give them room to grow. The larger limbs we cut up and save for outdoor fires later. Can’t wait to roast some marshmallows.

So I leave you with scenes from gardens past-while spring is yet preparing for her grand entrance!
Happy outdoor Wednesday!



















































16 comments:

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Oh my, what a lovely place.
So peaceful and beautiful!

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday! Oh my...you have a GORGEOUS yard! I can't wait to see more! Thanks for sharing your photos.

Susan

Anonymous said...

This a lovely place. How I wish I could grow such beautiful flowers.

muna mahdzar-fadaaq said...

Beautiful!!

Light and Voices said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday! This looks like a serene and happy place.
Joyce

Candy said...

What a wonderful backyard. Love the pond.
Enjoy Spring, Candy

Shirley said...

Gorgeous. What a beautiful garden.

Marie said...

Hi Kate-
What a perfectly beautiful pond. I love ponds, and would like to build one someday...I'm just scared they might be a lot of work.
-marie

Marja Rijnsburger said...

What a lovely place. The wagon with the flowers is beautiful.
greetings from Holland

Charlene said...

Beautiful photos. I can assure you my pond does not look like that one! Mine is green! YUCK! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about cleanup at this part of Spring. I wish for instant color but there are many steps before that happens.Dream of what comes after the clean-up.

Kathy b

Lori said...

What a beautiful space. I know it is now time to do all the cleaning outside.

Blondie's Journal said...

What a clever way to display flowers! I bet that draws a lot of customers! Love all the waterlife!

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

xoxo
Janie

Blondie's Journal said...

Goodness Kate, you must think I'm nuts! When you wrote that you were waiting for your favorite greenhouse to open up, I mistook your pictures to be from the greenhouse! Well, that's a compliment then because your yard is spectacular! And I did read in your profile that you had a lot of fish...so there you go!

LOL!

xoxo
Janie

Elisabeth said...

Lovely flowers and foliage. I love the pond and fish. What a wonderful getaway place.

Tink *~*~* said...

what a lovely wagon, just dripping with lavender and purple blooms. :)

Happy Wednesday,
Tink *~*~*

Now Playing at My Mobile Adventures *~*~* :
Sanibel Island beach birds